Thursday, April 12, 2012

Typical Lǎowài.

On Tuesday, I started a new part time job. A Swiss pharmaceutical company in town was looking for an English teacher for some of their employees for once a week lessons. Now every Tuesday night from 630-830 I get to teach a small class of about 12 adults some conversational English. It's going to be a fun experience. They are a great group of people; most of them have Masters degrees or PhDs in Chemistry and they can mostly read a write English fairly well, but need help with speaking and listening, so that's what I'll be helping them with. And I'll be making some extra cash for traveling!!

 

I have also been asked to give an oral English exam to 6 of their employees to help determine which of them will be promoted. The instructions: Ask them questions. Each person 10 minutes.

 

Fantastic. Not vague at all. I mean it's only for somebody's promotion. No big deal…

 

What kind of questions…? Tell me about yourself? What's your favorite color?  Explain the impact of quantitative easing in pre-recession United States on the Chinese derivatives market? Seriously. Just a tiny bit of direction would help… but that's not how things are done here in China.

 

Most of the class is pretty shy but I think a few of them are going to be hysterical. They have already told me that I am the typical lǎowài (foreigner), but I think that it was a compliment? Foreigners fascinate the Chinese... It's kind of cute… They all giggle at me and want to be my friend. They all e-mailed me after class. The two best are below.

 

Hello, Julie

         

 It's Jessica, How are you! I want to make friends with you if you don't mind! I like you style, and you are a person of great honesty to others, otherwise, I can teach you chinese too! You can come to my house in the weekend and I do some delicious chinese food to you! or we can do some shoping nearby haimen! I can take you to pick strawberry, very delicious! aha! I have a likely and lovely daught, It's three years old, you would become her friend too!

                                                                     

Jessica

 

 

 

Dear Julie:

               My name is Arnold. I am an employee of [Pharmaceutical Company] and see you on tuesday on class. You impressed me as a typical american.I write the email to check if your email work efficiently.Scine I knew you major in international economy, I am very interested in collaborating in some business.
   Haimen was famous in bed necessaries, such as sheets and blankets.
I knew the field clearly and several relative work in it.
   what is you opinion?

Best regard

Have a nice day

Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment