Saturday, April 14, 2012

3 “Large” Pepsis and 3D Glasses.

Wednesday night I went to see Titanic 3D with some friends. It was absolutely amazing for so many reasons.

 

First of all, if you like the movie, I'd highly recommend going to see the 3D version. There's really nothing like seeing it on the big screen. That being said, you're really missing something if you don't see it in China.

 

The movie is apparently a big hit here and the theater was packed. As we walked into the theater there was a tiny concession stand. The Chinese aren't really big on beverages. They generally think drinking cold liquid is bad for you, so the large Coke that you get at the theater at home is just not going to happen here. I was resigned to the fact, but Peter wasn't about to give up his movie traditions so he ordered 3 "large" Pepsis to start – the equivalent of about a medium in the States – and went back for one more during the movie.

 

Silence is also not a big deal during the movies here. There was quite a bit of chatter during the film. I'm guessing it's because it was an English language movie, and most of the people were just reading the Chinese subtitles (which were in 3D!), and you don't need quiet for that. However, much to our amusement, the people in the row in front of us were using the movie as a chance to practice their English pronunciation. At timely intervals, they would repeat the sentence that the actor just said. The best one was when Jack was about to draw Rose naked wearing the diamond (which was censored here… definitely not as much nudity.) The theater was basically silent and this Chinese man loudly repeats after Rose, as she undresses:

 

I want you to draw me wearing this. Wearing only this!

 

I nearly peed my pants laughing.

 

Finally, for an epic conclusion to our night, Peter, Sky, and I accidentally started a theater-wide sing along to "My Heart Will Go On" during the movie credits.

1 comment: