Saturday, March 24, 2012

How to meet Expats and English Speakers in Rural China


Starbucks is going to be my saving grace this year. It is a glorious refuge of familiarity in a very unfamiliar environment. The prices are about the same as they are in the US, so it's super expensive for China, but the coffee is delicious, wireless internet is free, and it's only a few blocks from my apartment.

It also seems to be a gathering place for expats looking for a taste of home and Chinese people who speak English. On my first trip to Starbucks in China I met 4 out of the 5 "village foreigners", talked to three locals, and was able to order a Grande Caramel Macchiato without having to point or mime. It was a beautiful moment. And all I had to do to meet people was order a coffee and sit down at a table. Every time I go I make new friends.

Foreigners are not really that common in China, so all you have to do to find other foreigners is seek out a Starbucks (or other western restaurant/bar) and sit down for a minute. They will come to you.

On a side note, I feel like in the USA, you always hear how McDonalds is EVERYWHERE. Not true. There is no McDonalds here, but there are about 5 KFC's. Chinese people love them some chicken sandwiches, aka hamburgers—actual hamburgers are nowhere to be found. I've also seen a Pizza Hut, but apparently it's fine dining, so I'll save it for a special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment