Thursday, August 30, 2012

I’m Baaaaaaaaaaack!!!

-->
I really wish I had an awesome excuse for not blogging – like being kidnapped by ninjas or trapped in a Chinese prison – but I don't. Sorry.

Basically, I was just out enjoying life. Which actually is a pretty good excuse for not sitting on my computer…

Last time I blogged I was in Yangshuo… Since then, I traveled to Guangzhou, Macau, Sanya, Nanning, Kunming, and Chengdu. And now, after my crazy summer of adventure, I'm back in the village and will have plenty of time to make up for my missed blogs.

I don't want to overwhelm you all with the awesomeness of my summer so I'll give it to you in pieces. Starting with my time in Guangzhou.
 
Guangzhou is an enormous city in southern China, only a couple of hours away from Hong Kong and Macau. It's not a super popular place for backpackers, but it is a big travel hub for southern China, and it was a convenient place to meet up with my friend Mallory who is an English teacher in the north of China.

Despite Guangzhou's reputation for being a bit boring, I quite enjoyed it – it is a very livable city. I was only there for a couple of days but I would definitely go back.

Some of the highlights:

The night cruise down the Pearl River. China at night is always awesome and Guangzhou has some pretty spectacular lights along the river. Plus, a cruise is always a great way to explore a new city.

Dim Sum. A must. We had the traditional feast – tea, dumplings, steamed buns, and of course, duck feet.

High Tea on the 70th floor of the Four Seasons. Because sometimes it's important not to feel like a poor backpacker and splurge on some proper tea and crumpets at an elegant hotel.

And finally, an impromptu day trip to Macau that turned into an all night gambling spree. More on that later. Macau deserves its own blog.

So yeah… Guangzhou. Pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment